I dragged my buddy Benzo along for the ride; he just ran the Los Angeles Marathon so needless to say, he is in amazing shape. And yes, I was passed by EVERYONE except someone that was probably around 2.5 times my age.
We started on the Pacific coast highway, worked our way up to Mulholland, and turned into the canyon. It was GORGEOUS. And then right after you start climbing, someone scrawled ‘FUCK CYCLISTS’ on the pavement. LOL
My favorite Benzo quotes from the day:
- “I’m pretty sure he is going to die on this hill” (After we passed the ONLY person I was capable of passing on the hill, a guy that was at least 80 years old)
- “When are we going to stop climbing and start going downhill?”
- “Are we almost there yet?” (While going downhill on Decker cyn for 5 miles)
- “That was scary!” (Finally get to the bottom of Decker canyon)
- “That is why the people (going uphill) looked so trashed!” (After telling him that parts of Decker cyn was over 15% grade)
Here is a link to the ride details/GPS information. Not sure why the chart shows that weird straight line to where I drove my car, but that isn’t included in any of the details so ignore it.
Here are some pics from the ride!