Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read Sparky’s a pimp
Stomach’s like hell but no throwing up
Half way to finish and my GPS is blowing up
Today I ran a 5k
I got to say it was a good day.
-Modified Ice Cube lyrics
So as the lyrics state, today I ran my first 5k. My time? 39 minutes. Yup. That’s right. 12.5 minutes a mile. Laugh all you want, but I freakin’ jogged the whole thing. And was passed by numerous women and children. Repeatedly. But hey, as my friend said, you can only get better, right?
So while jogging in the merciless sun, in my new overpriced Nike dri-fit visor, I was envisioning why cycling is so incredibly superior to jogging (or running, if you are fast, unlike me).
Here is my top ten list as to why cycling is better than jogging:
- The bike holds the water bottles, not you
- Less impact on poor feet and knees
- The thrill of being the motor of a machine!
- More changes of scenery (farther, faster)
- Generate more of a breeze when doing 15 MPH vs. 5 MPH
- Cooler gear – cycling shoes just look SO much techier than running shoes
- Various body positions available while cycling
- Requires more thought and attention
- Can get up to 50 MPH on a bike
- JUST CUZ
Did I miss anything? What else should I add?
As a counterpoint, here are some reasons why jogging MIGHT be better than cycling:
- Cheaper entry barrier
- Don’t have to clean chain/maintain bike
- Accidents while cleated onto a bike really suck
- Bike thieves
- What do you think makes jogging better than cycling?