So I stole a bicycle from my best friend. He let the bike sit in his garage for ten years and collect black widow spiders.
I’m traditionally a road cyclist. I know how to avoid cars and broken glass like no one’s business. But now I have access to tons of awesome trails, time to start hitting the dirt!
HOLY MOLY TRAIL BIKING IS DIFFICULT!!
- The road has good grip – on dirt, your bike SLIDES.
- Dangerous items on the road (cars) try to avoid you. Dangerous items on the trail (rocks) want to hit you.
- You are in the middle of nowhere on a trail bike; you are on a charted street when on a road bike
- The above is also a PRO for trail biking – it’s awesome being in the middle of nature
- It’s easier to find a tree and fall asleep while trail biking (see picture below)
In all honesty, trail biking is AWESOME. But I obviously need to work on my skillset. Fortunately, there is a free MTB skills class available right down the street, so me, my pride, and I are going to attend it next month.
Any tips/tricks you recommend? Do you prefer road or trail biking?